Sunday, April 26, 2009

Twitter

Twitter is a very interesting social networking site that we have been learning about. I have done a lot to learn about twitter in these last few weeks. Usually social networking sites come pretty naturally to me, I have a Facebook and a Myspace. However, twitter is a lot different than the usual websites. It took me some time to figure twitter out, it's much more than just posting whatever you are thinking. One of the first things I did when I made a twitter account was look for an app for my ipod touch. I found TwitterFon which is free, and allowed me to read other people's tweets wherever I was.

Being able to tweet almost anywhere was pretty interesting. This also allowed me to practice tweeting more often. I also followed a bunch of people to help learn about twitter. Christinadotcom was particularly helpful, she was one of the only people that responded to my tweets. Following Mr. Chamberlain was also very helpful. I also followed the Twitter_Tips which turned out to be a great reasource. I checked my Twitter a few times a day. However I feel like I didn't tweet or respond to other people's tweets enough. I think if more of my friends joined I'd be more outgoing on Twitter.

Despite my lack of tweeting I still believe that Twitter could definitely be a great reasource for teachers. At first I thought that Twitter was silly and would never have a place in education. I was wrong, and the more articles I read about Twitter, the more I began to see its merit. I liked the example in an article I read of students asking questions through Twitter while a teacher lectured. I think Twitter would be a great tool for creating a classroom communtiy. If every student had an account they could keep in contact outside of the classroom and help eachother with homework, projects, ect. I think I will definitely use twitter as a teacher. I will encourage students and their parents to contact me via twitter anytime the have a question. Keeping in touch is very important, with all the new technology coming out there is no reason not to take advantage!

No comments:

Post a Comment